Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Teesside University's artist in residence makes giant Roy Chubby Brown painting

18 Feb 2014 10:00

Neil McNally's exhibition at the Constantine Gallery at Teesside University, Middlesbrough, also includes a painting of Chris Rea catching a salmon in the Tees and a horse wearing a onesie






It’s not every day that the names Van Gogh and Roy “Chubby” Brown are used in the same conversation.


But the Dutch master is among the influences behind Neil McNally’s Royston Vasey Having A Nosebleed On Linthorpe Road.


And at three metres long, it is probably the largest painting of the Middlesbrough comic you’re likely to see. The painting is the centrepiece of an exhibition, Roy “Chubby” Brown is Coming Home for Christmas.


Through his paintings, Neil, who lives on Borough Road, Middlesbrough, places some of Teesside’s most famous sons in comically absurd scenarios.


The exhibition at the Constantine Gallery at Teesside University, Middlesbrough, also includes a painting of Chris Rea catching a salmon in the Tees and a horse wearing a onesie.


Neil, 36, said: “I’m originally from Pontypool in Wales. I’ve shown my work in London, Germany and France and sold quite a few paintings. But my father is from Thornaby and I’ve been here most of my life.”


Neil is the first artist in residence at Teesside University’s School of Art and Media.


Explaining the inspiration, Neil said: “I like using things I have seen or experienced and I’m a big fan of his comedy.


“I imagined him walking home on Linthorpe Road. He probably wouldn’t be wearing his costume in real life though.”


Neil also explained why Roy was depicted suffering from a nosebleed.


He said: “That’s a bit of a joke, I like to use humour. The town in the League of Gentlemen was called Royston Vasey, Chubby’s real name. There was a nosebleed epidemic in that series.”


Having been a student at Goldsmiths, at the University of London, and having completed an MA in painting at the Royal College of Art, Neil has a range of artistic influences.


Describing his work he said: “I would call it expressionism, it’s a bit Germanic, I’m inspired by Peter Doig, Van Gogh, Gauguin and Tony Hancock.”


He said: “I think it’s worth about £5,000 or £10,000 but maybe Chubby will buy it for £20,000. This is what paint will look like in 10 years - you saw it here first in Middlesbrough.”


Roy “Chubby” Brown is Coming Home for Christmas is open from today until March 1, 5-7pm. Entry is free.



No comments:

Post a Comment