Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Skelton woman Lily Richards is 100 years young... and it's all down to hard work, she says


Lily Richards celebrated her big day with visits from friends, family and wellwishers and a party with neighbours outside her home





The bunting was out in Skelton for the 100th birthday of a woman who credits “hard work” for her longevity.


Lily Richards hit three figures yesterday, and celebrated her big day with visits from friends, family and wellwishers - and was inundated with more flowers than she could handle.


“I didn’t know I knew so many people!” said Lily, who has lived in Skelton for 26 years after moving north from Nottingham.


“I don’t think I’ve got enough vases to put all the flowers in, but they’re all beautiful and I am very grateful.”


Lily is originally from Sheffield and moved to Skelton to live with her daughter Yvonne, who sadly died two years ago.


“I came to Skelton to visit my daughter and I saw that a lady was selling her bungalow and I just thought, why not? So I got in touch with her and bought it and I’m very happy here.


“I don’t really know the secret to such a long life. It is definitely down to hard work. I have done all sorts, I was a cook and a boss of 23 girls at one point. I was a cleaner and I also did a man’s job - I mixed concrete and dressed bricks for a while.


“I think that the sea air might help. I love being by the sea and the beach.”


Married twice, Lily had one daughter and also a stepson, George. She was one of three children, with her brother Harry Winter, 94, unable to make it for her celebration, but nephew Geoff and neices Glennis and Janice travelled to East Cleveland.


The Hollybush pub in Skelton provided a buffet lunch for Lily, and caring neighbours put out the bunting, balloons and banners for her party outside her home.


And she received visits from care company Heritage, who help Lily around the house, and staff from Morrisons in Redcar brought a fruit hamper.


Linda Storr, who has cared for Lily for five years, said: “She is fantastic, and more spritely than people who are 20 to 30 years younger than her.


“We still go into Redcar every week to go round the shops and she has a wonderful sense of humour. She enjoys a small glass of sherry every now and again, and as she worked as a cook, she loves her food as well. She still loves getting in the kitchen and cooking up a storm in the slow cooker.”



No comments:

Post a Comment