Friday, April 18, 2014

Stuart Lobb delighted to be back home for the new NYSD league season


Pace bowler Stuart Lobb is ready for an historic season after returning to home town club Seaton Carew




Well worth the wait - Stuart Lobb is ready for an historic season after returning to home town club Seaton Carew.


The pace bowler left seven years ago to play at the highest level he could, but pledged to return if ever Seaton reached the top flight of the Darlington Building Society NYSD Premier Division.


And as soon as they finally reached their goal after several near misses he was as good as his word.


“I spoke to chairman Brian Weatherall straight away, and I am coming back as captain. It was always my ambition to do this and I am delighted,” said Staurt, who has enthusiastically thrown himself into the club before the new season, working hard on the facilities, helping with function nights, seeing to the kit and working with the players ready for the big start at home to Saltburn tomorrow.


“It’s an historic day with this being Seaton’s first top flight game, and I am so pleased that I am going to be part of it,” said Stuart.


“I’m from Hartlepool, but we moved to Seaton Carew 10 years ago. It was my first cricket club and feels like home.


“I left when I was 16 because I wanted to reach the best level I could. I’ve been seven years away. I have loved playing everywhere I have been, but it feels right to be back here.”


Stuart has made the most of his exile. He joined Blackhall, then played for Horden, experiencing life in a different league.


Then it was off to Australia to play for Brisbane side Sunshine Coast.


“That was the best level I have played at,” said Stuart, who later had a second stint Down Under, this time in Perth where he played for Applecross at what he considers a similar level to the NYSD Premier League.


On his return to Teesside he played for Billingham Synthonia, then Guisborough, from where he returned to Seaton.


So at 23 he already has vast experience which he can put to good use at a club that he feels can do well.


“Obviously our first priority is to stay up, and establish ourself at this level. The club has targeted this for a long time, and have come close a few times.


“Now that we are here we don’t want to go back down and become an up and down club. I think we can establish ourselves. Others have done it.


“Richmondshire came up and are now the team to beat. They have won the league the last couple of years and I think they are favourites again. Gary Pratt is the best batsman I have played against in the NYSD League.


“But a lot of clubs have signed new players, so you never know how it will work out.


“Richmond have a winning mentality, but so do we after winning promotion last season. We have players like Kev Rowntree and Marty Skirving who have played for the club a long time and worked hard to achieve Premier Division cricket. They’ll make the most of it.


“And there’s lads like me who started here. Paul Braithwaite, Davey Braithwaite and Jack Turnbull have been at the club since they were 11. And Danny Evans, like me, started here then moved on. He is back now as professional.


“So I think we can do well. Maybe teams will come here and think they will beat us, but I feel we are ready.”


Champions Richmond start at Sedgefield and are looking to get off to a flier to hold the main challengers at bay.


Darlington who have pushed Richmond hard over the last couple of years, just missing out on the title, start at Marske, who won the Division One title last season, to go up alongside second placed Seaton.



No comments:

Post a Comment