Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Wife of Egyptian detainee tells how she was raped by interrogators in front of her husband


Egyptian flag


This appears to be a press conference in which the wife of detainee Hasan Anwar tells the story of her rape by security agents in front of her own husband


Text of video clip:


He said to me, now look behind you. My eyes had been blindfolded. I could not see. He said (having removed the blindfold) ‘look now, who is this?’ I said this is my husband. He said look what he has done to you. I said he has not done anything. You are the one who brought me here and beat me but he has done nothing. You are punishing us. He said to me ‘you say I’m punishing you?’ He pushed me into a room, the room he was in before. They tried to rape me. My husband said to him ‘enough, enough, let her go’. He (police officer) was telling someone to undress me. My husband said let her go, let her go, I’ll talk but bring her out. He said to him ‘no, you talk first and then we bring her out’. He said to him ‘by Allah I shall talk, but bring her out’. I was blindfolded before I was brought into this room. (The officer) started removing the veil and as a result the blindfold dropped. They took me into the room and they tried to do this thing, I shouted loudly and said don’t don’t. (My husband) said to them what is it you want me to say, I’ll say it, but don’t do this. That’s all. I found my husband was so unwell. He said bring her out and I’ll say what you want. What are the charges you want me to admit? I’ll confess but let her go. They brought me out.


After that they did all these things. Despite everything they did they brought him down to the floor. They said (to one another) if he does not talk bring her back. (My husband) said to him tell me what is it you want me to confess. I’ll say whatever you want me to say so that you let her go. He said to him I’m telling you that you will have to talk, you will have to talk. Or else (he said to a policeman) go and fetch her. They brought me back. When they took out, before, they blindfolded me and strapped my hands behind my back. He held me and dropped me on a chair like this. He said (to the policeman) put her hands on the door so that we suspend her too to make him talk. (My husband) said to them by Allah, and made so many oaths, if you want me to say anything I’ll say it just tell me what happened, what is it you want me to say, I don’t know what is it.


That’s it. I was shocked by all that which was going on. They strapped my hands behind my back, blindfolded me and carried me and put on a chair to suspend me. I said to him if I am suspended … when you suspended my husband I heard him shout very loudly, I was horrified by his screaming. If you do this to me I don’t know what I shall do.


My husband said to him just tell me what to say and I shall say it, but let her go, please. He let me go and brought me out. They then started beating my husband severely as if in vengeance from 10 o’clock to 12 o’clock. Then, they said to him (the policeman) bring her back. I went in to find my husband with very one, about five people, on top of him. I was still blindfolded and my hands tied behind my back but the blindfold moved a bit. He dragged me and pushed me inside the room.


Source: MEMO



No comments:

Post a Comment