Saturday, July 12, 2014

North TV presenter Kay Murray reveals her shock at seeing the poverty in Brazil



She's mingled with the biggest football stars on the planet as she reports on the World Cup action in Brazil.


But Middlesbrough lass Kay Murray has revealed how upsetting some parts of her trip to South America have been, as she witnessed the grinding poverty many live in.


The TV presenter, for works for North American sports network beINSports, was taken on a trip to the favelas of Rio this week.


As she prepared to cover the final between Argentina and Germany tonight she told the Sunday Sun: “On Friday night I went to a favela for the second time since coming here, but I was taken right into the heart of the place by an ex-player called Carlão, who has a charity to help the poorest kids in the area, through football. Barely any of them had shoes and some of them lived in a house with six to a bedroom.


“It was eye-opening and upsetting. Carlão wants all the kids to be able to take part in his Football Programme but the Brazilian Government say that kids without sand shoes cannot join for insurance purposes. He’s raising money to help provide them with clothing, shoes and food.”


Kay, who previously worked for Real Madrid TV and who now lives in Miami, USA, admitted that reporting on the World Cup has been a dream come true.


She said: “Even though I have had some incredible experiences out here, nothing quite beats the feeling I had when I saw my first game here - Netherlands versus Spain. It was my first ever World Cup game and a very emotional moment for me. I had dreamed of going to a World Cup since 1990 and 24 years later, here it was, coming true. The fact it was such a good game with a shock result made it even more exciting.”


And after a summer of fun in Brazil Kay is set to return to the UK for a holiday but confessed she wouldn’t make it back to her beloved Boro this time.


She added: “I’ll be in London briefly but not long enough to make it up North on this occasion, I have been home about four times this year and will probably next be back at Christmas. I’m very much looking forward to the new season and delighted that the channel I work for carries the rights to the Championship. Come on Boro!”



No comments:

Post a Comment