Friday, August 22, 2014

George Friend signs new four-year deal to stay with Boro


Defender George Friend has signed a new four-year contract with Boro, the club has confirmed.


The 26-year-old left-back, who was named player of the year last term, has made 85 appearances since signing from Doncaster Rovers two years ago.


Friend had entered the final year of his current deal and reports had linked him with a possible move to Premier League sides QPR and Crystal Palace or Boro’s Championship rivals Reading.


But the ex-Wolves and Exeter City player said he was delighted to pledge his future to the club.


He said: “I don’t like cliches, but when it comes down to it, I really love this club and I’m delighted that I can dedicate myself for the longer-term.


“It’s been a great move for me, coming here. I couldn’t be much further from where I was born, but I feel so at home here.


“There’s a number of reasons for that - my team-mates, a manager I admire and respect, the coaches, the physios, the staff, the chairman for all that he does, and the big part, the fans.


“The fans have been good to me and supported me, and they’ve made me feel so welcome.


“I appreciate what it takes for them to get a ticket for a game and to support us the way they do, and I try and work as hard as I can on the pitch and in training, and by giving something back in the community.”


The deal was announced on the club's website



No comments:

Post a Comment