Friday, August 29, 2014

Keep fit enthusiast celebrates 102nd birthday with fitness group members


A keep fit enthusiast celebrated her 102nd birthday in fine form yesterday.


Ruth Dawson, who never misses a Friday night at her local keep fit class, marked her big day with a party attended by family, friends and fellow fitness group members.


Ruth exercises and enjoys the social evening with other women who attend the group at St Margaret’s Church Hall in The Oval, Brookfield.


Brenda Hockney, who has been running the classes for 12 years said: “Ruth and her daughter, Kath, were two of the first members at my classes ,and Ruth has been coming ever since.


“She is overwhelmed by everyone here today.”


Ruth, who has led an active lifestyle said: “Today has been marvellous.


“I love going to the classes. I wouldn’t miss them for anything. I’m never giving them up.”


Barbara Taylor, 68, who also attends Brenda’s classes said: “Ruth is an inspiration to us all. She never misses the classes and always has a smile on her face.


“If I turn 102, I hope I will still go to keep fit.”


Nancy Chilber, 80 said: “Ruth is amazing. As well as the fitness classes, she enjoys bingo and going to the bowls club.


“We all love going to the keep fit classes. Brenda makes us work hard but we enjoy it.”


Ruth was born in Peebles, in Scotland, in 1912.


In 1938, she married Jimmy Dawson, from Edinburgh, and together they had two children, Kath and Douglas.


Ruth, who has four grandchildren and five great-grandchildren, recently moved out of her home in Acklam to take residence in Dalby Court Care Home, in Coulby Newham.


Her daughter Kath, 75, who had to stop attending the fitness classes last year said: “My mum is wonderful. I think it’s great she still goes to the classes. You can’t stop her.”


When asked about the secret to reaching 102, Ruth laughed: “I have no idea but I used to have to go to bed at 7 o’clock every night until I was 14. I used to complain bitterly but it hasn’t done me any harm.”



No comments:

Post a Comment