Friday, September 26, 2014

Grove Hill fundraiser Darryl Mather given thumbs up with Community Champion nomination


Nominate your local heroes in the Gazette Community Champions Awards


A thoughtful teenager who has raised more than £3,700 for the children’s ward he’s spent a large chunk of his life on has been given a “thumbs up” from the family of a little boy also treated there.


Darryl Mather, of Grove Hill, Middlesbrough , vowed to raise £3,000 for Ward 21, the Children’s Ward at James Cook University Hospital, before he reached 18 in November and moved to an adult ward.


Both Darryl and his younger brother Tyler, nine, suffer from a rare genetic disorder - primary ciliary dyskinesia (PCD) - which affects the airways and leads to infections. It means the brothers each spend at least eight weeks every year in hospital.


Also treated on the ward is five-year-old McKenzie Moore, of Pallister Park.


McKenzie was born with water on the brain and has several severe disabilities. He is deaf, partially sighted and has to be fed through a tube so requires round-the-clock care.


McKenzie’s family has now nominated Darryl, who lives with his mum Debbie and dad Andrew, for a Gazette Community Champion Award in the npower-sponsored Champion Fundraiser category. A nomination form put forward by gran Michelle Moore, 40, on behalf of McKenzie, says: “I am now almost six and Darryl was there at my first admission at 10 days old.


“I think it’s a good thing that he’s raising money for the ward; it’s a really nice thing to do. Well done Darryl and thumbs up from me.”


Michelle said: “For McKenzie the ward is like home from home, he spends so much time there. Darryl’s such a lovely lad. He’ll see me and always ask if McKenzie’s all right.”


Darryl’s fundraising has included a sponsored walk, a football tournament, bag packs and a charity night at the Priory Social Club on Marton Road.


He was also helped out by a mystery donor who gave £200 after reading of his efforts in The Gazette. Darryl has also previously held fundraisers for other charities, including Zoe’s Place and the Great North Air Ambulance.


Darryl said: “This isn’t the last of it, I’m going to keep doing fundraising.


“I’ve done this for the ward because I know how boring it can be if you’re in hospital with nothing to do. When toys break, the ward can’t afford to replace them.


“I just want to help all the other kids who have to spend time in hospital.


“I’m really grateful and pleased that someone thought about nominating me. I’m quite shocked but it’s really nice.


“I’m going out soon with the playroom staff to buy things with the money - they know what they need so I’ll leave the decision up to them.”



No comments:

Post a Comment