Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Stockton woman who had four new hips will tackle Great North Run for rare skin disorder charity


A woman in constant pain after four hip replacements says she is relying on the crowds to get her through to the finish line at this year’s Great North Run.


Lyndsey Hall, from Hartburn, Stockton, was born with hip dysplasia but wasn’t diagnosed until her teens.


This meant the 36-year-old spent most of her childhood in agonising pain, often unable to walk.


“I had my first hip replacement when I was 15,” said restaurant assistant manager Lyndsey.


“I’ve always been in pain and I’ve never known anything different, so I suppose I’ve just learnt to live with it.”


She had her final operation aged 21, when her metal hip was replaced with a ceramic implant.


Her inspiration for the race came from watching a documentary about people suffering with the rare skin disorder ichthyosis - a life-long genetic condition that results in dry, scaling skin.


All funds will go to the Ichthyosis Support Group which provides a support network for suffers, their families and medical professionals.


“I saw a programme about two little twin girls who were born without skin and it completely broke my heart,” Lyndsey said.


“I felt like I could relate to them even though our conditions are completely different, because I know what it’s like to be in constant agony.


“My hip dislocated six weeks after my last operation which set me back. The pain was unbearable.”


Lyndsey has been training three times a week in the lead-up to the Great North Run which takes place on Sunday, but admits it hasn’t been an easy journey.


She said: “I’ve also done spinning classes but running has never appealed to me.


“I find it quite boring so it has been tough. When I qualified to take part, I knew there was no way I could drop out.


“I’m hoping the crowds will keep me going on the day to get me through it.”


Lyndsey has a bus load of supporters behind her including Brewsters pub at Preston Farm, which has agreed to match her fundraising total.


So far, she has managed to raise £250 through generous donations.


“It will be nice to do something for a small charity that people probably don’t know much about. After learning more about the ichthyosis it proves how we often take things for granted.”


Director of the Ichthyosis Support Group, Mandy Aldwin, said Lyndsey’s efforts were “wonderful.”


She said: “We are extremely grateful and humbled that Lyndsey has chosen to support ichthyosis given her own medical condition. She’s a true inspiration.”


To help Lyndsey boost her funds visit: http://ift.tt/1nXu4FU or text LHAL60 with the amount you would like to sponsor to 70070.


To find out more about ichthyosis go to: http://ift.tt/1nXu74w



No comments:

Post a Comment