Thursday, September 4, 2014

Aitor Karanka: 'It's better to be patient with the players you set out for rather than pick the wrong one in a rush'


Boro head coach Aitor Karanka says that it is important to be patient when bringing in new players.


He acknowledged that some fans were getting restless at the level of activity at the club as the transfer window progressed.


But he told the club's website: “I know the fans were a little concerned that the players weren’t arriving, but at last the players we set out to get in the beginning are here and this is the most important thing.


“We worked hard with the club so we had time to speak to, and convince the players that they should come here.


“It’s better to be patient with the players you set out for rather than pick the wrong player in a rush decision.


“I had chats with all of them and it is the most important thing for me that the players we bring in want to be here.”


Jelle Vossen, Yanic Wildschut and Jamal Blackman all arrived on Monday - with the deal for Patrick Bamford being completed on Friday and the arrival of Ryan Fredericks the day before that.


But Karanka says the squad building had taken weeks of planning.


“I’m very happy with the squad because we were working for a long time and we now have the squad we were aiming towards,” he added.


“I told the players that I wanted a smaller squad because I want all the players involved in the team – for me, all the players have the same importance,” he continued.


“Whether it’s those who start the game, those on the bench or those watching in the stands, I need to know that they could be involved straight away and that I can rely on them to come on and try to win the game for me.”



No comments:

Post a Comment