Thursday, September 4, 2014

Man, 77, among group set for Transporter Bridge bungee jump in memory of relative


When Jon Hold came up with the idea of a sponsored bungee jump to raise money in his mum’s memory, he thought he would be nothing more than spectator.


But Jon’s feet will not be firmly on the ground like he first thought, after he found out he was eligible to leap off the Transporter Bridge.


“I thought I might have been too heavy at first,” said Jon, from Eston. “But when I went down and found out I wasn’t, I had no choice but to join the others,” he laughed.


Jon, and a group of his friends and family including his 77-year-old brother-in-law, will be leaping off the iconic bridge on September 14.


The event is part of a fundraising campaign Jon and his family are hosting in memory of Margaret Hold.


Margaret passed away on October 3, 1984 aged 50 after a 10 year battle with breast cancer.


“We thought with this year being the 30th anniversary of mum’s death, we should do something in her memory,” said Jon, who is hosting the events with his siblings, Stephen, Pamela and Beverley.


“We are having a charity night but we decided to see if we could get people to do a bungee jump.


“I got people together and thought I had got out of it until I was told I wasn’t too heavy to do it.”


In total 20 people will be taking part in the adrenaline-fuelled challenge, including Jon’s brother-in-law, Malcolm Baxter.


But Malcolm is no stranger to the jump as he took part four years ago and became the oldest person to have taken part.


“Last time I did it for Eston Labour Club’s chosen charity and when Jon asked me to do it again, I was more than happy.”


Other events include a charity night on October 3 at Eston Labour Club. Three clairvoyant nights have also taken place.


All proceeds will go towards the Breast Cancer unit at James Cook University Hospital in Middlesbrough.


Jon said: “Mum would think I am mad but it is all for a good cause.”


Donate or text Hold84 plus the amount to 70070.



No comments:

Post a Comment