Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Jonathan Woodgate: 'I'm fit and I want to play a part in what could be a great end to the season'


Classy centre-half Jonathan Woodgate has declared himself fit and raring to go ahead of the promotion run-in.


The 35-year-old has confirmed he has a broken toe which ruled him out of the game at Bournemouth on Saturday but it won't stop him from playing a part in any more games this season.


"I have a broken toe, but I can play with that," he told the club's website.


"I trained on Tuesday morning and while it's painful, it's not keeping me out.


"I want to play a part in what could be a great end to this season.


"The lads were a bit down after what happened at Bournemouth, but on the day we were beaten by a very good team.


"Decisions didn't go for us and we know we are better than what we showed that day."


Woodgate had only started one league game this season before he was brought on to replace the injured Daniel Ayala against Ipswich.


Action Images Jonathan Woodgate salutes the Boro fans at Derby


Jonathan Woodgate salutes the Boro fans at Derby

He kept Daryl Murphy quiet that day and put in a rock solid display against Derby four days later but was a big miss at the Goldsands as Bournemouth's attack ran Boro ragged.


Woodgate insists Boro will put that heavy defeat behind them and bounce back, but is urging the fans to play their part in four promotion-deciding games at the Riverside.


"I've been in squads for enough big games to know what it takes and I like what I see in our dressing room," said Woodgate.


"We need the fans, without any question. We need them as often as they can make it to our games.


"I don't think they realise what a difference they can make. We all really appreciate the part they have played in our season so far, we need them with us right at the end.


"There could be a great end to what has been a very good season.


"I want to be involved and I want the fans to be a part of it."



No comments:

Post a Comment