Thursday, November 13, 2014

Teesside Olympian Johanna to face toughest challenge yet with Big Sleepout


Olympic athlete Johanna Atkinson has faced some major challenges while representing her country in the Olympics, World Championships and Commonwealth Games.


But she says taking part in the Big Tees Sleepout this month will be her toughest test yet.


The 29-year-old Teesside race walker, formerly known under her maiden name of Jackson, will give up her home comforts for a night on the streets in the fourth Sleepout, outside Middlesbrough College on Friday, November 21.


“The Big Tees Sleepout will have to be the toughest thing that I have done in my whole life,” Johanna, of Loftus, said.


“Compared to taking part in the big tournaments, sleeping rough overnight on the streets is far more daunting, especially now the weather has taken a turn for the worse.


“I was just walking the dog the other day and I was absolutely freezing so that made me imagine how horrendous it could be to sleep out on a street when it’s bitterly cold.


“But nothing will put me off because I know that tackling homelessness and poverty locally is such an important cause.”


The Big Tees Sleepout is organised by the Middlesbrough and Teesside Philanthropic Foundation.


Johanna, who took a job in Skelton’s new Asda store when her funding was cut following disqualification in the 2012 London Olympics, is the reigning Commonwealth champion in the 20km walk. She is currently setting her sights on next year’s World Championships and then the 2016 Olympics.


Redcar-born Johanna, a former Sacred Heart School pupil, said: “This is the first thing I’ve ever done for charity and I know that I have let myself in for quite a challenge because I am certain that sleeping out for the night in winter will be very tough.


“But I am an athlete and I’ve got a very competitive spirit.”


Participants in three previous Big Tees Sleepouts have raised around £35,000 for local people in desperate need.


This time organisers Middlesbrough and Teesside Philanthropic Foundation are raising funds for a range of local homeless charities and food banks, whilst helping to raise the profile of homelessness across the region.


Among the causes set to benefit include Middlesbrough Homeless and Recovery League, the Salvation Army’s Christmas appeal and the Stockton-based Moses Project, which puts on Christmas Day lunch for addicts, homeless and struggling families.


To sign up for the Big Tees Sleepout, visit http://ift.tt/YyTtbp . Participants must be aged 16+ and must register online in advance.



No comments:

Post a Comment