Friday, February 13, 2015

'He has been lucky', says man who saw boy, three, knocked down by minibus


Three-year-old Riley Robins had a lucky escape after being knocked down by a minibus in Thornaby.


The accident happened at about 9am today on Thornaby Road, near to the junction of Redcar Road and close to The Village Primary School.


Phillip Hackett is Riley’s uncle and the incident happened just outside of his house.


“I was in the garage getting the bike out when I heard a bang," the 26-year-old said.


“I went out to see if everything was alright. It was my girlfriend’s brother’s son.


“He had been walking to school with his mam.


“I think he must have thought his cousin Thomas was out so he tried to cross the road.”


Thornaby Road


The road was closed to traffic while emergency services assisted at the scene.


The child was taken to the University Hospital of North Tees in Stockton.


Phillip added: “We have had a call to say he is alright.”


Ada Newham, 72, and her husband, Charles, 70, saw the incident unfold from inside their front room.


Ada said: “I saw the van. All of a sudden I saw it put its brakes on.


"I saw the van stop and bounce back. I heard someone shout and scream so then we ran outside.


“I saw the child with blood all over his face, on his nose and his mouth.


“My son-in-law phoned the police and tried to help direct the traffic. My daughter was trying to see to the child.”


Charles added: “This road is crazy at times but the driver wasn’t going fast. The child has been lucky.”


The road has since been reopened.



No comments:

Post a Comment