Monday, March 23, 2015

Appeal after grandmother, 59, assaulted and robbed by balaclava-wearing attacker in Ormesby


A grandmother has been left unable to walk without a stick after being robbed of her handbag by a balaclava-wearing attacker.


Shirley Wallace, 59, was approached from behind by a man on a bike who put his hand on her shoulder before running off with her bag on Bournmouth Avenue, in Ormesby.


The grandmother-of-two was returning home from a “quiet night out” with her husband when the ordeal happened on March 1.


A month on and Shirley now relies on a stick to help her walk after her hip was badly bruised during the attack.


“It happened so quickly, it was all a bit of a blur,” said Shirley, who runs her own embroidery business.


“We had just parted ways with a friend at the alleyway at Pritchett Avenue when it happened. Whoever did it was being very quiet because I didn’t notice him until I was being pulled to the floor. He was dress in all black and was wearing a balaclava with only two slits for his eyes.


“My poor husband couldn’t do anything as he suffered a brain injury a few years ago and can’t see well. It was horrible.”


Shirley and her husband somehow managed to make their way home and raised the alarm.


“I hopped and stumbled home somehow and the police where there shortly after.


“I’ve been in agony ever since and find it really hard to get comfortable.


“It won’t stop me going out though as I am quite a strong person, it worries me to think it could happen to someone else. I don’t take a bag out with me anymore.”


The robber escaped with a black shopper style shoulder bag with gold detailing. Inside was Nokia phone and a Radley purse containing about £60 cash and bank cards.


Anyone with information regarding the assault or the person responsible is asked to contact DC Thomas Legg on the non-emergency number 101 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.



No comments:

Post a Comment